Visitation Rights

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 5 - New Year's Eve

I spent the majority of the day thinking about how the hell I was going to spend my evening. I'm so used to meeting up with friends around 7 or 8, having some cocktails and eventually ringing in the new year amongst those I know. However, this year, out side of my Mom, I am over 4,000 miles away from all those I know. Before I get ahead of myself, there is much to cover before the chaos (and I DO mean chaos) of the evening could even begin. Yet another very full day!

Mom and I woke to get ready and leave my room whilst on a mission. We were off the the Ponte Vecchio, the only bridge across the Arno River which survived WWI (I believe I read it's something like 750 years young).






Mom and I standing on the Ponte Vecchio with the River Arno behind us.

It's also known as a great tourist trap complete with shops covering both sides of the bridge with some of the most beautiful jewelry I have ever seen. The bridge isno longer open to traffic of any kind except those on foot with cash in their pockets. Mom indulged and I came earily close for such an expense so early on my trip.


We stopped at a "charming" restaurant for lunch, Mom had the gnocchi and I had ravioli (Many of these restaurants around tourist attractions serve lunch specials with typical "American/Italian" foods. We generally fall prey to them seeing as they are cheap and we know what we are eating. However, fear not! I shall venture out and try new things and report back soon!).


Inside, looking out during lunch. 

On our way back over the river, thus browsing the other side of the Ponte Vecchio, we headed towards the Galleria delgi Uffizi, where we wisely purchased tickets in advance and did not have to wait in the long line.

Mom and I veiwed some of the most famous European art from the 13th century through the 18th century. One of the highlights of the visit to the gallery was the view. It was spectacular.


Ponte Vecchio from Galleria delgi Uffizi

 River Arno from Galleria delgi Ufizzi (notice the rower in the bottom left corner)


Duomo from the Galleria delgi Ufizzi

After leaving the gallery, we had just enough time to stop at a wine and pasta shop. Mom bought pasta, I bought wine (We have visited this shop on multiple occasions and it would be fairly accurate to call it a staple of the trip).




So, back to the room (after stopping again to buy a necessary bottle of champagne) and my quest for evening events began. What to do? What to do?

Through my window, I could see my "across the middle neighbors" having a party. I won't lie, the thought did cross my mind of walking over and asking to join in the festivities. Or, should I head to the local bar/pub and ring in the new year there? All I knew was that this New Year's Eve was NOT going to be missed sitting in this room. And, lucky for me, I ran into Mikko in the kitchen with a painting buddy of his, Nigel. I was informed that the place to be on New Year's Eve was a specific piazza Mom and I had been in earlier that day and in days past: Piazza della Signoria.

So, I headed back to the room, pitched the idea to Mom and she said, "Let go!" And if you know me, that's all I needed to hear. We got bundled up, filled up a water bottle with the remaining champaign and headed to the piazza.

The streets were FILLED with people or all ages and ethnic backgrounds. It was one of the first times I did not see any street vendors trying to stop us to sell a knock off Chanel watch or Louis Vuitton bag. Everyone was there for one reason and that was to enjoy the evening's party. Young men were walking down the street with champagne bottles in their hands. Mothers were pushing babies in strollers. People were breaking out into song and others fifty feet away would join in. It was one of those moments where camaraderie and booze were the most important aspects of the evening.


We wasted no time in joining in. When we arrived at the piazza, an orchestra was playing on the large stage. Behind us, Italians were shooting off fireworks at will with no regard for others around them. And no one really seemed to mind (not something that would have ever been allowed in The States). Large circle openings where cleared to break glass and light fireworks. It was madness as well as joy. Then, when midnight came close, everyone started counting down (in Italian of course), "dieci, nove, otto, sette, sei, cinque, quattro, tre, due, uno... Happy New Year (I don't know how to say that in Italian)!!!!!!!"

 
Circle created in a VERY crowded Piazza della Signoria


And midnight!

Mom and I said, "Happy New Year!" to each other and both decided now was probably as good a time as any to head back. However, this was no easy task. We spent the 15 minute walk home dodging fireworks and excited Italians. Everywhere you turned, you heard "BOOM!" or "POW!" from the fireworks.

Lucky for us, we made it home in one piece, still very excited after accepting the New Year's Eve Italian gauntlet. We had survived and now there was a new challenge on our hands. That challenge, which will unfortunately forever be ingrained in my brain, was that of none other than ABBA.

For some reason, Italians are stuck in this weird era of American music, from which I can tell thus far has to do with musicals. It was one ABBA song after another ABBA song last night coming to us live from a piazza behind our room. Well, it might as well have been in our room. And, again, if any of you know me, you know how I feel about ABBA. It was a loooooong night.

But all-in-all, I think I got Mom out of the room to enjoy a one-of-a-kind New Year's Eve. Something that her and I will probably never see again, and it was worth every moment. I'm very lucky to have spent it with her. I'm pretty sure she had a good time too! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment